Monday, November 24, 2008

TWILIGHT shows fangs

So I went to see TWILIGHT this weekend along with millions of teen girls. While I think the movie is cute and will probably delight the fan base of the internationally popular books, I don't think it's a cinematic gem by any means. It's just okay -- sweet and entertaining. But then again, I never really read the books. So I was not as excited as those who knew the literary characters. The film, at it's very core, is no different than any other teen romance flicks. But without any amazing big special effects and not enough focus on the vampire lore, the story quickly becomes another rehash of the girl-falls-for-guy-from-the-wrong-side-of-the-tracks thread. I also have a problem with the writing -- the dialogues seem directly lifted from the Hallmark collection filed under i-can't-live-without-you cards. Don't get me wrong. I'm still glad I saw it.

But really, a vampire movie without any homoerotic overtones? Unreal. Must be because Stephenie Meyers is of Mormon faith? Discuss.

And while Edward Cullen (Robert Pattinson perfecting the brooding vampire look) is making a lot of girls faint, the gay boys also have their eyes on the exotic Jacob Black (Taylor Lautner who looks much better in the peacock network's now-cancelled MY OWN WORST ENEMY), the dangerous bad boy James (Cam Gigandet), the hunky Emmett Cullen (Kellan Lutz), and even the handsome daddy Dr. Carlisle Cullen (Peter Facinelli). Yum yum.

~ Michael Gamilla

Tidbit: Robert Pattinson plays the great artist Salvador Dali in 2009's (scheduled) LITTLE ASHES about the early loves and lives of Dali, Federico Garcia Lorca and Luis Bunuel. Yes, it's gay. How gay? Don't know yet. He does have a love scene with his male co-star. And it was picked up for US distribution by ImageOut sponsor Regent Releasing/here! Networks. I tried to see it while I was in Berlin last February but it was still in post-production then. Looking forward to the screener.

2 comments:

Jessica said...

Everyone knows I love all things vampiric, but I am interested in the grassroots boycott of Twilight. It is much like the cinemark boycott. Twilight Author Stephanie Meyer has announced that 10% of the profite she makes will go right to her church. That is money that has and probably will go to support prop 8 in California!

Michael G said...

I don't see her getting any film credit, just for writing the novel. Does she have any contract giving her profit sharing rights to what the movie makes? Just wondering. Cuz she could have very well have gotten her money and maybe boycotting the movie won't do any good. She probably got paid for the rest of the books already. Oh well, those dang teen girls don't care about our cause. =(