Sunday, March 29, 2009

Monsters vs Aliens

Hang with me here, I do think this movie is ImageOut related...

After seeing so many heavy (and long) movies this year already, it was fun to watch a kid-focused bit of lively animation with a premise that neither explains too much nor apologizes for its silliness. The origins of each monster are very briefly mentioned, but none at length. They just are and that's it. And there are enough grown-up jokes (that won't offend the kiddies) to keep all ages interested. Seth Rogen is easily recognizable as B.O.B. the Blob, and Will Arnett (Arrested Development) as the Missing Link (who in this incarnation is a slightly ape-looking fish monster) is pretty funny as well.

The main lesson of the movie is about unconditional acceptance: acceptance of one's self and of differences in others. (see, I told you it was relevant!). at just over 90 minutes, it is a tough message to get across, but Monsters vs. Aliens does it fairly well without laying it on too thick.

I didn't get to see the 3D version though. Does anyone else with glasses have problems with wearing that extra pair?

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Jessica. Were you babysitting again this weekend and treated the kids to a movie? =)

Jessica said...

No, but we were the only two adults without kids in the theater!

KRAUSSINTHEHAUS said...

The 3-D Glasses fit over the regular glasses....no problem.

3-D made be a bit woozy and I thought the movie was a bit too long. My favorite is B.O.B.

radioman said...

we went to a 9:40 (which we don't normally do) showing of the movie last Saturday night in Henrietta, trying to avoid the crowds, and boy did we avoid them! I don't think there were more than 20 people in the theater. Opening weekend! Personally, I haven't been recommending the 3-D version since seing it that night. I wasn't that impressed. When 3-D first came around (I'm old enough to have been there) things used to "pop out"! Not a lot of that with this movie...stuff sort of "floated by", except for a few instances like the ping pong paddle at the beginning. I think I would have enjoyed the movie...and it's message...just as much in regular format.